Thursday, November 12, 2009

Day 32

A short post tonight because I am trying to get myself to 6am yoga tomorrow  and it is BEDTIME. . . .

In my practice this afternoon I had a thought -- if homo erectus was such an evolutionary step forward for human kind, if letting go of walking on all fours and standing up straight on our two feet signified progress, why is it that we spend so much time in yoga trying to get all our weight back into our hands?  We even do a pose called "gorilla pose" where we stand on our hands and walk around.  Grr . . . I am bemusedly frustrated with myself . . . and why is it that I can not go back to my genetic roots and get myself back into my hands?  I have been struggling the last few days in particular because I cannot get my hands flat, and in so many yoga poses, one needs to get the hands flat so that they can bear the weight of your body.  Evidently my "texting muscle" (technically I think its called the triad muscle) of my hands is over-developed.  Go figure.  What are the teeny-boppers of this generation going to do if even my texting muscle is over developed??  Anyway, an over-developed texting muscle makes it hard to get the thumb and the thumb muscle down flat on the ground  - hence I can 't really get my weight into my whole hand because its not flat on the floor - hence I fall on my face when I try to stand on my hands and do crow pose.  Boo.  So can someone please explain to me how it is that I can't un-evolve?  How come it is that I can't undo this particular kind of growth and progress?  I forget things I have learned and undo growth I have achieved all the time.  In fact, as a person, I think I am quite skilled at unlearning things (a/k/a forgetting things).  So how come after 2 straight days of focusing on loosening this tiny muscle in my hand I can't seem to let it go and go back to my "natural" state of being?  Damn monkeys, chimps, apes, or whatever it is we technically evolved from. And curse you Sprint, Verizon and T-Mobile.   I bet the monkeys don't worry about their under-developed hand muscles. . . you think there's an app for that?

Namaste,
Clare

3 comments: